Followers

Pages

Monday, June 13, 2011

Formula One: I threw it away, admits Vettel


Canadian Formula One Grand Prix winner McLaren Mercedes driver Jenson Button of Britain shakes hands with second-placed German Sebastian Vettel of the Red Bull Racing team. -- PHOTO: AFP

MONTREAL - SEBASTIAN Vettel conceded he had made a mistake that had left him disappointed after finishing second behind triumphant Jenson Button in Sunday's dramatic Canadian Grand Prix.

The 23-year-old German came home second for Red Bull after Button of McLaren swept past him on the final lap at the rain-hit event that was suspended for two hours mid-race.


'Of course, I'm disappointed,' said the defending champion and current runaway leader of this year's title race. 'I think it was a very difficult race from start to finish and we led every single lap except the last one. I think I was probably too conservative when I was in the lead after the last Safety Car, and I didn't open the gap enough.

'I was trying to hold the gap to the cars behind and then I saw Jenson coming through. I was pushing and I think it would have been enough until the end, but obviously it was not because I made a mistake.

'It's clearly down to me. I locked up the rear a little bit. What you have to do then is open up the car going a bit straighter and when there's only one line, I ended up in the wet.

'It was quite easy then for him to pass, but I think it was a good day today. It was a difficult race, easy to do mistake and we've seen a lot of cars not finishing so it's good points. If you have got it in your hands and then you give it away it's not the sweetest feeling but, all in all, it was a good for us here.' -- AFP

No comments: